1. Registration is FREE! Please feel free to jump right on in, the water is a little frigid, but it warms up quickly!
    Dismiss Notice

Big Buck

Discussion in 'Talk, Talk (off topic)' started by Joey Watts, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Joey Watts

Joey Watts Well-Known Member

I live way out in the country and 5 very quiet and private acres. There is a couple thousand acres of private land across the street from my house that I have permission to run my dogs on. Most of the time my 2 dogs roam and run pretty freely out here. I do put tracking collars on them most of the time when I let them outside. No telling what they will wind and this way I can keep up with them. Few weeks ago I was in the middle of charging these collars and my male wanted outside. Let him out knowing I would need to check on him in a few minutes. I did this and when I walked out on my front porch, could hear him across the street from my house raising 9 kinds of hell. Got 1/2 way down my drive way and almost turned around to get my camera. Sure wish I would have because what I got to see what pretty amazing. Big thicket full of briars that runs in between 2 hills and could hear my hound in the middle of this thicket. Could not see or get to him from the direction I walked in to him at. Came in another direction and started walking towards him. Got within 40 or so yards when I big giant buck stood up in the middle of this thicket. Buck never saw me and trotted my direction. Got within 20 or so feet of me and just stopped broad side. My male hound circled around right in front of this deer and they were nose to nose for what seemed like 10 minutes. My male steadly barking at this deer and the deer steadly grunting with his head down. I just sat there with my mouth wide open and could not believe what I was watching. Buck would look at me, then look back at my hound. Was so close I could see the bucks breath when he would breath or grunt. I just knew any minute this buck was either fixing to charge my hound or take off running and here I set with no tracking collar on my dog if this deer takes off running. In a real low voice trying not to spook the deer I called my dog. Second time I called him and he slowly walked my direction. When he got close enough I grabbed him buy the collar. Buck looked at me again, turned the other way and slowly walked off. Was an unreal and very beautiful experience.