1. Registration is FREE! Please feel free to jump right on in, the water is a little frigid, but it warms up quickly!
    Dismiss Notice

Large Lipless Cranks

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Wizard, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Wizard

Wizard Well-Known Member

My lipless cranks run from .25 to 1.25 oz. The larger sizes from 1 to 1.25 oz., I use for vertical jigging in the late summer and fall. As the bait grows during the year I gradually increase the size of my cranks. In the mid to late fall as the bait moves out of the coves and feeders, they will stage at the mouth of the cove in the middle. The schools are usually from 15 to 40 ft. in depth. The best way to catch these fish is vertical jigging. Bass will gather in schools to the sides and beneath the schools. I have written about using large grubs but my other lure is a 1.25 oz. lipless crank. You can either cast the lure and let it sink on a semi-tight line or vertical jig it as you would a jigging spoon. At times the bass like the large profile of the lipless crank. This is a tactic for quality bass; small bass will pass on a bait this big. During this staging period, which only lasts a few days, fishing elsewhere is very tough. If the fishing is difficult in late fall, look to see if they are staging.

2. ACBass

ACBass Well-Known Member

This post is hidden to guests.
    To view this post, please log in.
    If you are not a member, you will need to sign up.