1. Registration is FREE! Please feel free to jump right on in, the water is a little frigid, but it warms up quickly!
    Dismiss Notice

TLC for livewell bass

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by champowner, Apr 21, 2010.

1. champowner

champowner Well-Known Member

There is a good read on this in April's Bassmaster magazine.

1. Handle fish gently- Don't let the fish flop around on the boat carpet. Between this and excess handling of the fish, it will remove the protective slime from the fish. Try to wet hands before handling the fish and try not to keep them out of water too long.

2. Fill livewell with good water- Don't fill your livewell in shallow waters or around the docks. The water around the docks contain tons of oil, gas, and other things that may affect your fish. Also, try to pump new/clean water in about every 4 hours.

3. Livewell water temperature- Try to keep the water temperature below 75 degrees. Cooler water holds more dissolved oxygen. Cooler water will also slow the fish's metabolism. We have all heard that fish can lose weight while in the livewell.

4. Chemical additives- This is a constant contraversy. I believe in using chemical additives. I have seen the difference in the fish's behavior after using chemicals. Elite Series pro John Gipson has placed Please Release Me directly on a fish's wound and said it stopped the bleeding and revived and injured fish better. Another alternative is to have the Oxygenator installed into your livewell that pumps pure oxygen into your livewell. If you have this, they suggest not to use chemicals.

2. RAWHIDE

RAWHIDE asinus asinum fricat

This post is hidden to guests.
    To view this post, please log in.
    If you are not a member, you will need to sign up.

3. champowner

champowner Well-Known Member

4. Alan

Alan Proud Infidel

5. This post is hidden to guests.