1. Registration is FREE! Please feel free to jump right on in, the water is a little frigid, but it warms up quickly!
    Dismiss Notice

Annual Labor Day Trip

Discussion in 'Fishing Talk' started by Charlie T, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Charlie T

Charlie T Well-Known Member

Our annual club Labor Day Trip is scheduled for this weekend. Each year for the past 15+ years, we have been invited to spend the weekend at a local guide's family home on the Piankatank River. We normally have about 8-10 guys who attend and have a whale of a time. The fishing is fantastic but the socializing is equally enjoyable.

The headwaters of the Piankatank River creates Dragon Run Swamp. The "Run" is absolutely loaded with bass, white and yellow perch, pickerel, sunfish, crappie, red drum, gar, striper and the kings of freshwater excitement: Bowfin and Northern Snakehead. Most of the guys are there for the bass fishing. However, my partner and I are there for the bowfin. It is not unusual for us to catch upwards of 15 bowfin per day each, with weights up to 12 pounds. I generally fish 1/4 oz. spinnerbaits on ultra-light rods with 6# line and 1/2 oz. spinnerbaits on MH rods with 65# braid. It seems that the larger the bait, the larger the fish, although we have caught some monsters on UL.

Each day generally consists of communal breakfast prepared by our host's daughter (excellent cook), followed by preparation of lunch, loading the boats and beginning the 5 mile trek to the Run. At the entrance to the Run, the right bank is covered with reeds and bulrush. Being tidal, the baitfish are tight to the marsh banks, followed by the gamefish. The small spinnerbait or a small swim jig will take the fish along this bank. The left bank is riprap with overhanging brush and downed wood. The whole stretch gives up a plethora of bass, blue catfish, red drum, white perch and bowfin.

As you proceed further into the Run, the cover becomes more diverse, with cypress trees, lily pads, hydrilla beds, a very few docks, dropoffs, creek mouths, duck blinds and a winding channel. It would be very easy for one to get lost in the swamp if not for the tide. Following the tide movement is better than a map, as long as it is not dead low. Some places get very shallow.

Along about 5 p.m., we start heading back to the house, tie up the boats, connect the battery chargers and sit down to a sumptuous communal dinner. A $75 donation covers our food and lodging for the four day visit. Once dinner is over, it is time for deck sitting and story telling. This is a most enjoyable time. Adult beverages and extreme laughter are staples. Some of us who are die hard anglers, however, head back out to the mouth of the creek and fish for the huge school of speckled trout that congregates there marauding the baitfish schools. After getting our fill of this, we target a couple of docks that have spotlights on them and fish for the stripers that come in to feed around the lights.

For those of us who don't get our fill of freshwater fishing in the Run, we fish the rocky points and docks of the 5 mile stretch between the creek and the mouth of the Run. My partner and I generally do this on Monday in order that we have fish to take home for eating. We tend to load the cooler with large white perch, Norfolk spot, Atlantic croaker, red drum, striped bass, speckled trout and an occasional flounder. Drop shot rigs with tiny tubes provide the enticement.

Even with the predicted rain this weekend, I would not think of missing the trip. Since I no longer enjoy fishing in the rain, socializing at the house is a tremendous substitute. Four whole days with no TV, no phones, no chore list and no worries! How can anyone not look forward to that?

Charlie......

2. cd4th

cd4th Shoot first, shoot again

This post is hidden to guests.
    To view this post, please log in.
    If you are not a member, you will need to sign up.

3. Ukey28

Ukey28 Well-Known Member

4. Charlie T

Charlie T Well-Known Member

Chaw likes this.
  5. cd4th

cd4th Shoot first, shoot again

6. BCB

BCB Off Staff