1. Registration is FREE! Please feel free to jump right on in, the water is a little frigid, but it warms up quickly!
    Dismiss Notice

Dang Gene, looks like...

Discussion in 'Talk, Talk (off topic)' started by Gridleak, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Gridleak

Gridleak Well-Known Member

the Golden Ray salvage operation is gonna get a taste of what they were hoping to avoid. And you too I'm guessing. Tropical storm Isaias is heading your way. Hopefully it will stay a low grade TS, and move even more out to sea, but y'all duck, and stay safe all the same. Unfortunately it doesn't necessarily take a lot to mess with some of these barges like the VB-10000 that is parked out there.

I am reminded of when I was off the coast of Zaire, sitting in the mouth of the Congo river. We were on McDermott's derrick barge DB-9. There was a big storm far out to sea that was causing 8 foot swells beneath us. Between the swells, and the relentless current of the Congo, the inch and a quarter anchor cable on the port bow broke, then on the port stern broke. We spent the next three days drifting around aimlessly, and occasionally having to be pulled away by a tugboat from various well platforms in our path, while the barge crew recovered the anchors, and changed out the cables.

St Simons Georgia and TS.jpg

2. Gridleak

This post is hidden to guests.
    To view this post, please log in.
    If you are not a member, you will need to sign up.

3. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

4. Gridleak