1. Registration is FREE! Please feel free to jump right on in, the water is a little frigid, but it warms up quickly!
    Dismiss Notice

When viewing destruction...

Discussion in 'Talk, Talk (off topic)' started by Gridleak, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Gridleak

Gridleak Well-Known Member

Regardless of the source of destruction of peoples lives, homes, and livelihood, whether by earthquakes, fire, hurricanes, you name the source, I am always struck when TV reporters describe where and how people are to begin again by using the term "Starting from zero".

Anyone who uses that term has no clue, and have lived a charmed life.

Having had my families home destroyed seven times in my life due to tropical storms, and hurricanes, and having lost everything I and my family owned each time, speaking from experience I can tell you that these people are starting from less than zero. Zero would be a property wiped clean of any sign of a home, and goods. Zero would be no reminders, or memories of life before the devastation. Zero would be a reset as if it hadn't happen at all.

However, it does happen, and I can commiserate with those who have experienced it, knowing they are restarting from less than zero. My heart goes out to the people who find themselves facing such misery as the good people of Louisiana and surrounding areas are experiencing tonight. For those who would tell them they must start over from zero... I don't blame you as you struggle to describe the heartbreak, but you have no idea. It is better to simply say the starting point is indescribable.

2. Gridleak

Gridleak Well-Known Member

This post is hidden to guests.
    To view this post, please log in.
    If you are not a member, you will need to sign up.

3. Wizard

Wizard Well-Known Member

This post is hidden to guests.
    To view this post, please log in.
    If you are not a member, you will need to sign up.

Gridleak likes this.